The CEU Institute for Advanced Study offers residential fellowships to highly accomplished senior and promising young scholars seeking to spend 6-10 months in an interdisciplinary intellectual community of their peers while pursuing their own research.
We offer the following fellowships each year. Below is a brief description of each fellowship. We publish calls for application with the precise terms of each fellowship for the relevant academic year on our website while the applications are open (around the end of August to the end of October each year). Please note that the fellowship applications are evaluated through a rigorous peer review process and the final decision is made by our independent Selection Committee. The only criterion for selection is the excellence of the proposed research and the track record of the applicant. Our fellowships are highly competitive.
Senior/Junior Core Fellowships
- This is our core fellowship program. Senior and junior core fellows spend 3-9 months in Budapest and pursue their own research. They receive a stipend and accommodation at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse from the Institute.
Humanities Initiative Fellowship
- Humanities Initiative Fellows are typically young scholars who spend 10 months at CEU and CEU IAS. They work as instructors for one semester at CEU, where they teach one course in a department of their choice. They are residential CEU IAS fellows for the other two semesters. Humanities Initiative fellows receive a stipend/salary and accommodation at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse.
Thyssen@CEU IAS fellowships
- Thyssen@CEU IAS fellows are funded partly by the Thyssen Foundation and partly by CEU IAS. Fellows reside in Budapest for 6 or 10 months and work on their own research projects in the field of the humanities or social sciences. Junior fellows may request a renewal of their fellowship for a second year.
- The EURIAS fellowship program is an initiative of the network of European Institutes for Advanced Study (NETIAS). One to two junior fellowships are available at CEU IAS each year in the field of the humanities and social sciences. Applications and inquiries must be sent directly to the EURIAS program. Check their website and fellowship options here.
Fulbright- CEU IAS Research grant
- Fulbright Fellowships are available at CEU IAS. Please check the details here.
ACLS Frederick Burkhardt Fellowships for Recently Tenured Faculty
- Fellowship receipients from this prestigious program are eligible to spend their research year at CEU IAS. Please check for details here.
Affiliated Fellowships at CEU IAS
- Each year we accept a handful of affiliated fellows at CEU IAS. Affiliated fellows typically use their own external fellowships to spend their research period, or parts thereof, at CEU IAS. The minimum stay is 3 months. Affiliated fellows do not receive a stipend and may or may not receive housing from the Institute. Researchers interested in this option should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.